UPDATE: Windows 10 lean is released get it now. Windows 10 Lean is the further streamlined mode.
With the new Microsoft Surface laptop, Microsoft announced the new version of Window 10— streamlined Windows 10 S. The primary reason to invent it was making an operating system faster, secure along with improving battery life for better User experience. Microsoft launched the Windows 10 S installer tool to download and install Windows 10 S on a computer simply to test it. If you want to download and install Windows 10 S on your computer, this guide will help you through the process.
Note: Windows 10 S installer tool works on Windows 10 Pro, Pro Education, and Enterprise. Windows 10 home and N edition users won’t be able to install WIndows 10 S using this tool, but they can use the fresh install method.
Table of content
Download & Install Windows 10 S Through Installer Tool
This tool will download Windows 10 S (ESD) file to your computer, then will execute the setup and Windows 10 S will be installed on your computer. Cool
- First backup your files to the drive in which you have installed Windows 10, this method will require an internet connection so make sure connect to a wifi as the downloaded data will be around 2-3GB.
- Download the Windows 10 S Installer from Microsoft site (Link is here) it’s an online installer and about 5MB, then run it (you don’t have to install it, it’s a direct run program), allow it to run.
- Accept the license terms, unless you can’t use the installer. Click on the Next button to proceed.
- On the next screen is Windows 10 S installer will check minimum hardware compatibility, this includes your CPU, RAM and disc space. This check process will not take more than a few seconds. Click the Next button to continue.
- The installer will download the Windows 10 S file (formally an ESD file, later it will execute the file and start the setup). If you’re looking to directly download the ESD file and convert it to ISO, move to the next section to get download links and resources to create bootable USB and do a fresh install of Windows 10 S.
- It will take a while, as for 32-bit computer download file size is around 2.4GB+, and 64-bit it’s 3.1GB+. To kill time minimize it and play these google games or surf these useless or entering sites.
- Once the tool downloads the Windows 10 S file (esd) it’ll ask to restart your computer to continue this setup, click on restart now button.
- On the next reboot, Windows 10 S should be installing, it will take some time and will reboot several times during the installation, sometimes it took longer to install Windows so make sure to connect your PC to a power source.
- Just like any other Windows 10 installation, you have to go through some setup pages and once you are done click on next button to finish the installation and dive into the streamlined Windows 10 S.
- Your system will now boot into Windows 10 S. Simply log in with your account, and you’re good to go.
Note: Your data will be preserved, but the Windows apps and settings will be erased. This means you can’t install apps outside of Windows Store.
Remove Windows 10 S
Visit Windows store and update to the Windows 10 Pro, if you already have a license and did a fresh installation.
You have 10 days to go back to your earlier Windows 10 version. To do that go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery. (This won’t work if you did a fresh installation).
Clean Install Windows 10 S
If you did backup your data and wanted to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 S, then use you should be doing it this way. A fresh install method also takes less time compared to installing it using the tool within the installed Windows 10. What we are actually doing is, downloading the Windows 10 ISO file (esd, then converting to ISO) and then creating bootable USB media install it on your computer.
Download Windows 10 S ISO
Cloud Retail: (Original Windows 10 S) Convert esd to iso using this guide.
Windows 10 S (64-bit) ESD ¹ (mirror)
Windows 10 S (32-bit) ESD ² (mirror)
Convert ESD file to ISO
Follow this guide to convert the Windows 10 S esd file into an installable ISO file. An esd file is highly compressed making delivering files with more convenience while using fewer data.
Create a bootable USB
Use Rufus tool to create Bootable USB media.
What’s wrong with the Windows 10 S?
Many of the drivers may or may not be installed since I can download all the drivers for my HP laptop from the HP website, but since they provide executable programs, I couldn’t just install them because Windows 10s won’t let me do it. However, you can download driver programs extract them and used device manager to update component drivers. Many users reported that Windows 10 S wouldn’t install component drivers closely tied to performance and power management.
Store can be nightmare
The office 365 wasn’t available for a test Dell laptop from the Windows store. Also, the GIT office application from the start menu doesn’t work and only gives this error “ the thing you are looking 4 isn’t available.”
Although for test purpose you can install Windows 10 in a hyper V virtual machine or VirtualBox, I noticed that Office 365 installed without giving any error.